Thursday, April 15, 2010

Vegan (Chocolate) Baklava

I had some phyllo dough left over and I wasn't really certain if it would survive, uncooked, as a leftover ingredient.  So, I quickly made the best use of it that I could think of considering the time crunch: I made baklava!

I loosely based the concoction on Christine Waltermyer's recipe. By "loosely based", I mean that I essentially used it as a guideline. By "guideline", I mean that I thought about it fondly as I:

  • Made a random mixture of brown rice & maple syrup.
  • Loaded it up with chopped walnuts, almonds, and gads of chocolate chips.
  • Haphazardly layered the whole concoction between phyllo sheets.
  • Hoped for the best (how can you go wrong with chocolate, nuts, & phyllo?)
Don't judge me: my phyllo was drying out; it was a race against time.

My inability to follow directions poor planning and execution is in no way a reflection on the original recipe, though, which I happen to know turns out flawless (when baked by Christine, not by me).  

As for my results, it is possible that I may have over-chipped, since it was pretty oozy when I took it out of the oven...um, and then, when cooled, turned out pretty much like a solid bar of chocolate with flecks of nuts & phyllo speckled throughout. 

And what's wrong with that?  Nothing.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jill, it was gooooood. It was predominately made up of chocolate; what do you expect? ;-)

    I will say that it was possibly better cooled than warm (and neater to eat).

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)