Monday, December 27, 2010

Fiery and Sweet Indian Hummus

This recipe for Indian hummus has been floating around my kitchen for some time.  I finally made it, with a few substitutions & additions.  Inspired by the original, this is the recipe I ultimately used:


Fiery & Sweet Indian Hummus
serves 4-6

1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp curry powder
2 tsp garam masala
4 tsp cayenne (not for the faint of heart)
1/2 tsp sea salt
pinch black pepper
3 cloves garlic
6 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp agave
1/4 cup water
2 cans chick peas, rinsed & drained: divided
3/4 cup raisins

Mix all ingredients except chick peas and raisins in a small bowl.  In two batches, combine bowl contents with 3/4 of your chick peas in the Magic Bullet.  Minimally smush remaining chick peas with fork.  Transfer smooth mixture to bowl and mix in raisins and remaining chickpeas (for texture).  Serve garnished with cayenne and raisins.

 
I used pita chips, but soft pita would be ideal.

3 comments:

  1. That look's really good and I should try it sometime. I use a pinch of cayenne with almost everything nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting recipe! That's a most exotic hummus — sounds delish, though I may be too "faint of heart" for four teaspoons of cayenne. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Andrea, I did put in the warning!
    P.S. My mom, who was initially turned off by the hue of the hummus, summarized, "This could turn you against regular hummus."

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)