Sunday, January 30, 2011

Don't Judge a Lotus Root by its Cover

The first time I prepared a lotus root I sliced it too thickly and attempted to roast it in olive oil, salt & pepper like brussel sprouts.  It was not good.  Then a co-worker told me about a cold lotus root salad she was able to duplicate from her local Japanese restaurant.  She generously shared both the recipe and a lotus root and I was on my way.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, lotus roots look kind of potato-y, but they're much more fun looking inside.  They can usually be found in Asian markets.  Wash, peel, and slice thinly using a mandoline.  Be careful.  Bring water to a boil with a pinch of salt.  Drop in sliced lotus root, bring to a boil again, and cook for five minutes.  While it's cooking, combine all of the other ingredients in a bowl.


When the root slices are cooked but still crisp, drain in a colander, then rinse immediately with cold water.


Pour all ingredients into a ziploc bag and marinate in the fridge for at least two hours, squishing around every half hour or so.


For easy and immediate munching, arrange on a plate and serve with sriracha. 


With a little more effort, they would also be great served with rice or on a bed of salad greens.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool! Lotus roots are so cool looking, but the ones I've had (mostly just snuck into teriyaki veggies at Japanese places) always have a dissappointing taste, kind of like water chestnuts. Your presentation is lovely; hope they were yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will judge my lotus by its cover darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious! I love dropping thinly-sliced lotus root into my Asian soups, but I never thought of using it to make a cold salad. I can't wait to try this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby, I'm sorry to say, this time around, I'm going to judge a lotus root by its cover. Even with sriracha, this dish looks gross...

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)