Thursday, March 1, 2012

Jerzday!

Yes, New York City (and BK- woot!) have more than enough to entertain even the most discerning vegan.  But sometimes you gotta get out and have a Jersey day (with PA thrown in for good measure); this is how you do it.

Gather your friends and eat vegan M&M's for breakfast (Ok, they're from Economy Candy, so technically they still count as NY).
I can't even look at them without wanting to eat them all.
Call ahead to make sure Jackie is working and then head directly to Sprig & Vine for lunch or brunch.  Consider your stomach capacity and order just about everything on the menu.  With a pleasant and efficient waitress to guide you, you are sure to enjoy a gastronomically intense feast.

As luck would have it, we were both greeted pleasantly at the door and found the dining room plenty warm; the S&V stars were aligned!

We went with two appetizers to start: the roasted gold beet crostini with black beluga lentils and smoked cashew ricotta and the kennebec potato wedges with grain mustard aoili (Jackie always remembers to bring ketchup as well!):


One of my friends tried the soup of the day, a sweet potato & butternut squash puree w/ smoked paprika croutons & toasted cumin oil; it looked extremely appetizing and he really enjoyed.


Another friend went with one of VM's favorites, the edamame falafel wrap with black sesame tahini and pickled vegetables on a whole wheat tortilla


Of course someone at the table had to order the intense caraway-crusted tempeh reuben with thousand island dressing, pickles, and sauerkraut on grilled pumpernickel- always a hit, but I'm not sure why it wasn't on their luscious, dark pumpernickel!


As for me, I went for something I'd never tried before, the oyster mushroom po' boy with spicy remoulade, pickles & shredded lettuce on a baguette.  This is the richest sandwich I've ever eaten!  Between the battered and fried mushrooms and the generous serving of remoulade (similar to tartar sauce), I had no business whatsoever eating the whole thing.  But I did. 


Perhaps overeating wasn't the best plan, since the next stop on the Jerzday agenda was Vegan Treats!

With only the hour-long drive to digest, I kept it light: a classic glazed donut and- glory be- peanut butter and chocolate swirl softserve with rainbow sprinkles


Good eats were had by all:


And then I took some stuff home....

For starters, chocolate covered cannolis


Yep, just when I had all but finished swooning over their original cannolis, they go and improve upon divine decadence by generously dipping them in chocolate.  Possibly a new Bean Family favorite.


I certainly couldn't leave without cowboy cookies.


And there was a new (to me) cookie in town: pecan sandies!  How have I never tried these cookies before?  They're great- even to a chocolate lover like me: almost like a dense, non-buttery, pecan shortbread.


Also, a chocolate raspberry cake!  This cake was phenomenal


I was a little wary when I saw that fresh raspberry poised atop, but I made sure to check: there were only preserves and raspberry buttercream inside, tucked between chocolate cake and coated with the same chocolate as my all-time favorite, the Death By Chocolate.  SO GOOD!! 


VM is a sucker for all things chocolate raspberry, so I conceded the bigger slice to her (<3!), but in future I think I'd just go ahead and get two.  Or four. 


Hey, it's a long drive; sometimes you just have to stock up.

2 comments:

  1. So instead of spending the day in drty jerz you actually spent the day in rural pa. All-in-all, you made the right choice. The app from S&V with the lentils looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess things have changed in Jersey since I lived in Phila. No vegan anything in those days, let alone treats.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)