Friday, November 23, 2012

Vegan Thanksgiving, Part 1 of 2: Dinner

Oy; I'm full.  Not surprisingly, Thanksgiving day was filled with lots of cooking and tons more eating- so much so that I have to break it down into two posts: one for dinner and one for dessert.

VM's napkins: veganized
Dinner:


Truth be told, I don't like my food touching.


Especially gravied items; they belong on a separate plate!


We went extremely traditional this year, starting with green bean casserole from the PPK:


It never disappoints.


VM has always made awesome vegan mashed potatoes, but her new trick is to add horseradish- making them taste just like even better than the non-vegan wasabi mashed potatoes from Lucky Cheng's, circa 1999bv (before vegan).  VM's famous horseradish mashed potatoes!


I had some farmar sweet potatoes languishing, so I cubed and roasted them skin-on with cinnamon and nutmeg, then mashed them with butter, maple syrup, salt, and cinnamon sugar.  AB's so-so, sweet, sweet potato mash.


Because Thanksgiving is as good of an excuse as any to make brussel sprouts...we did.  But, we didn't roast them this time; instead, I tossed them in safflower oil with salt, pepper, garlic, and red pepper flakes, and sautéed them stove-top for 15 minutes.  They tasted very similar (better) than the ones from Blossom, and I loved the vibrant green.

I forgot the chestnuts!!
VM has always made vegetarian, creamed corn stuffing, but she's long since veganized it.  On a good day she'll prepare them in balls rather than a casserole.  A day when a dead turkey is roasting in her oven is not a good day.


Okay, okay; our mushroom gravy is from a can.


But our cranberry is homemade by my boss, who does something terrific with orange zest to make an orange/cranberry chutney of sorts that I really like...and I am not a fan of cranberries (never craisins).


And, finally: our "main course" was chickpea cutlets from Veganomicon- easily doubled on PPK. Cause what are you gonna do with a single batch?  Not enough, that's what.


I really didn't overdo it.  The problem arose when I was effectively done, but then decided to have a little more mashed potatoes...and stuffing...and green bean casserole.  Then I was not only done, but done for.  Despite my own gluttony, it was a wholly successful spread and I'll be eating leftovers for at least a week.

89 doesn't really eat at the table; she was just posing for posterity.
Don't get me wrong; I did manage to have dessert...hours later.  But, I'm a professional.  I'll let you digest dinner for now and catch you later with part 2.


Happy Thanksgiving.

7 comments:

  1. So is Vm vegan, vegetarian, or just adventurous and open-minded? I guess I always assumed she was vegan too.
    I love that everyone is eating their Brussels this year!
    I made a double batch of the PPK Double batch chickpea cutlet recipe for a party last week, even though I was the only vegan but I forgot the leftovers there! I forgot how easy they were to make though.
    Nice spread. I love the shot of the table and 89 - so well behaved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so full from tonight's leftovers on top of last night's dinner I can hardly look at your post. If I weren't so stuffed I'd be eating the photos. I was going to make green bean casserole but didn't get to it — again. 89 is sure looking cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For two vegans, it is surprising how different our thanksgiving table looked. Glad you had a good holiday and I'm looking forward (and a little scared) to part II!

    ReplyDelete
  4. foodfeud- Ah, VM is a vegetarian: has been since 2009 and I'm always trying to get her to transition. I too forgot how great (and easy) those chick pea cutlets are; I should definitely be eating them more often. As for 89, don't let her sweet face fool you; she's like a bolt of lightning!

    Andrea- I'm anxious to check out your spread. Casserole or not; you always go the extra mile!

    BYOL- You're right; there was no 89 at your table! Also, there's a place for kale and it's not at my vegan Thanksgiving. I need room for as many mashed potatoes as possible! P.S. Be afraid; be very afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL 89 looks so funny in the photo with the food!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delicious looking, gorgeous looking vegan Thanksgiving spread! Reading about this really makes me want to throw a dinner party just so I can make a big celebration meal. I can't decide which looks better: the green bean casserole or the creamed corn stuffing. Of course it all looks good, even your gravy from a can. Can't wait to see what you had for dessert!

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)