Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Trader Joe's Vegan Ice Cream: Soy Creamy Cherry Chocolate Chip- Quick Review

I was inexplicably craving a vanilla ice cream float the other day, and had heard from The Shenandoah Vegan that Trader Joe's vegan, vanilla was a hit.  Unfortunately, when I arrived at my local Trader Joe's, the two remaining containers were crushed to oblivion and I was told that they would not restock if there was stock remaining.  In response to my equally crumpled face, the response was that "there was nothing wrong with them."  True though that might have been, I did not want to bring root beer to a friends' house with a tub of ice cream that looked like it had been run over by a tractor trailer, so instead I bought their cherry chocolate chip non-dairy frozen dessert and decided that the float would have to wait.


Unlike some (non-vegan despite what they may think) people, it's been a LONG time since I've had Ben & Jerry's ice cream.  But I do fondly remember the taste of their Cherry Garcia flavor, and this cherry chocolate chip knocks it out of the park!  Way more cherry flavor, way more chips, and absolutely no animal cruelty.  I will say that it left a slightly odd taste in my mouth both times that I had it (I've never had this happen with any other vegan ice cream), but it was no match for the enjoyment that preceded.  Just be forewarned that you may want to brush your teeth soon after indulging.

11 comments:

  1. I've never had Cherry Garcia so I can't compare, but the TJs version sure looks good. I never think to look at the ice cream when I'm at TJ's but maybe I should, next time I get a craving. I think I'm spoiled by how easy it is to just make ice cream in the vitamix.

    btw, the new numerical captchas are less annoying than the letters were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out. It's been a long while since I've had the TJ's Vanilla. I agree, the Chocolate Cherry is tasty while eating, but I haven't bought flavor that in years either, so something isn't 100% with it for me as well. The Strawberry Coconut Milk Ice Cream I remember fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, never had the original. Pretty sure I'd chug this by the pint load, funny taste and all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this stuff. But I know what you are saying about it being "off". Meanwhile maybe write a letter to corporate about them with the run over ice cream. I've noticed this at my local tjs also. Mangled ice creams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I can eat half of something and return it for a full refund if I say I didn't like it but they can't restock if a carton is damaged? I would of hid the cartons somewhere else in the freezer and told them NOW it was time to restock.
    Lately every time I stop the lines are out the door anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea- I never thought of it until The Shenandoah Vegan mentioned it! And, I'm embarrassed to say that I still haven't made ice cream in the Vitamix yet...

    The Shenandoah Vegan- I'd definitely try another flavor; maybe the coconut base will be better?

    Joey- It really is great, so long as you brush your teeth asap!

    Melios- Weird, right? TJs posts usually get a ton of traffic (people are obsessed), so maybe they'll see it? I could easily spend my life writing letters...what ever happened to service and efficiency, I wonder.

    Susan- Exactly. What I wanted to do was throw them down the aisle like bowling balls, but I'd already had a confrontation with someone in the nut aisle, so I figured I'd already hit my crazy woman quota for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not a fan of cherries (weird, I know!) but I love trader joe's coconut based ice creams! definitely give those a try if they have them in stock :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love their soy cherry ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Trader's Joe Soy ice cream should remove its "Vegan" label -- sure its diary free, but it is produced by Crystal Creamery, which is owned by Foster Farms. If many vegans eat for animal rights and welfare, it would certainly not help the cause to buy this ice cream. Please help spread the word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, as more and people explore vegan diets, many popular food items are bought up by large conglomerates that are not vegan.

      Delete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)