Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Maoz New Rules: Don't Be Gross

It's been a while, but I am a big fan of Maoz: the vegetarian, very vegan-friendly, international falafel chain.

 

In the past, though, I have had issues with how the hygiene of the other patrons affects me.  These issues even turned into quite the debate with friends.


On my most recent visit to Maoz, something caught my eye as I was filling my salad bowl.


Once in focus, I couldn't believe what I was seeing!


The owner saw me do a double take and mistook it for unhappiness.  I quickly corrected him; I was ecstatic!  He wound up telling me that he was instrumental in taking the company in this direction, so I thanked him profusely.  Here it is, the Maoz code of ethics hygienic decree:


I should note that they've made their salad receptacles a bit smaller, but I've still got it.


Contained herein: falafel, hummus, baba ganoush, lettuce, and every vegan, non-cilantro option on the bar.  Still two meals worth!  And no germs.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry, I just don't see this as a hygiene problem. And despite what you may argue neither does science... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I purposefully didn't tag you, BYOL; you outed your own germy self!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to a Maoz, but I do get skeeved by folks eating off the WF's Salad Bar. I dont believe anything can be done to curb this behavior. You just have to take your risks at there serve-yourself places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Shenandoah Vegan, I do understand the general, unavoidable perils of a food bar, but because Maoz involves partially eaten/slobbered upon objects being returned to the bar for refill really takes it down a few notches of gagdom. To quote my last Maoz post: "I witnessed fellow diners who thought nothing of continually returning to the bar to refill their partially eaten pitas: communal serving spoons dangling perilously close to their saliva-laden bite marks." Too far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can stack like a champion! 112 and Broadway doesn't have these signs up yet (as of Sunday). Thankfully I haven't seen a lot of double dipping up there. The WF salad bar on 14th is an entire other issue. Last week a girl was sucking on her fingers after eating the tempeh. I left without going ballistic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ummmmmm maybe I'll try a maoz? It sounds confusing. I've never been. But I kinda get weirded out about salad bars anyway. Is the falafel really that good?
    But first, how is maoz pronounced?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love Maoz an awful lot. It's never occurred to me to fill everything up more than once - maybe I've been missing a (germy!) trick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 112 & broadway closed for renovations. I think the new glass is coming.

    ReplyDelete

Have you got something to say? It would be so nice to hear from you!
(I know captchas suck, but not as much as spam.)